Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 2 Healthy Made Delicious

I haaaaated meatloaf as a child. I hated when my Mom would serve it (sorry Mom!) It would literally make me gag. Not like the saying--"it makes me gag" but quite literally-----I... would... gag. Meatloaf is probably one of the reasons I became a vegetarian!! I have been a vegetarian for about 20 years now, and only very recently did I try a veggie "loaf." Dr. Fuhrman has a recipe listed on the Recipe Guide on his website called Thanksgiving Non-Meatloaf that we made for Thanksgiving and absolutely loved it!! And yesterday, we tried a new recipe by Chef AJ called Hearty Lentil Loaf, and again LOVED it!! Check out AJ making Hearty Lentil Loaf on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABtdPdkBhro It is a clip from her DVD called Healthy Made Delicous. You can order this DVD and get these recipes by emailing Chef AJ at: chefaj@att.net Here is what I made yesterday:
d
Wake up and Smell the Kale
It's Easy Being Green Smoothie
Hearty Lentil Loaf
Nutty Buddies (A Fundue variation)
d
If you read my first blog on Dr. Fuhrman's Eat for Health you will know that Haze and I don't like veggie juice very much. But the Wake up and Smell the Kale was a nice surprise! Chef AJ adds a tropical twist to this juice and it really hides the kale taste nicely. I was not feeling well yesterday and this was sort of like an elixir that brightened me right up! I gave it an A- Haze gave it a B

d
For lunch (along with a big salad and some leftover soup) I had the It's Easy Being Green Smoothie. It is definitely a new favorite! Rather than a berry base that I am used to in smoothies, this one had again--sort of a tropical spin that made it very tasty. I felt like Superwoman after eating this!! This is a great way to get your kale!! I gave it an A.

d
The Hearty Lentil Loaf is just completely yummy and filling! It is totally different than the Thanksgiving Non-Meatloaf--a nice new addition to our recipe cache. We both gave it an A. There are tons of variations that you could do with this recipe--like top with BBQ sauce, ketchup, cranberry relish, gravy, slice it and make a sandwich. But we had some leftover guacamole and decided to top it that way. (Actually, Haze wants credit for the guacamole topper!) I couldn't find low-sodium ketchup, so I bought canned, no-salt, fire-roasted tomatoes. We spooned it over our slice of Lentil Loaf and then topped with guacamole. Wow! It was fabulous!!

d
For dessert I made a variation on the Fundue that Chef AJ calls Nutty Buddies. We absolutely LOVED these! It tasted like an ice cream bar!! We both gave it an A+. YUM!!
d

6 comments:

Naina said...

Jana, I found your site today. I
have read most posts today. I am excited to have found your blog, and look forward to all updates!

I have great compassion for Haze's colon issues. I have trouble with all gluten filled grains, and eggs. Yet, even cutting those out, I have issues. I have been eating Dr. Furhman style for 8 days. I am better. I was wondering if Haze's symptoms are completely gone?

Jana Diedrich said...

Hi Naina,
Haze started out with acid reflux, (GERD), and collagenous colitis. All of the symptoms of GERD/ acid reflux went away almost immediately. But he still has the symptoms of colitis--which really is kind of horrible for him! But he is sticking with the diet and according to Dr. Fuhrman, it may take a bit of time until it goes away. He also told Haze to take a Probiotic called VSL#3, Fish Oil, and extra Vitamin D every day. So Haze started that a few weeks ago. But we will continue with this high nutrient diet and I know it will get better!! We are going to do the recipes from Dr. Fuhrman's book Disease Proof Your Kids next--which has some great sounding recipes for everyone--not just kids!!
Take care,
Jana

Jenn in MO said...

Ok, I think I am going to need this DVD. The food looks delish!
I hope written recipes come with the DVD - do you know if they do?

Jana Diedrich said...

Yes, written recipes come with the DVD! Plus some variations on the recipes. Everything has been super easy to make!

Dawn said...

I found another fav dessert! The choc dipped banannas look GREAT. Can't wait for the Disease proof your kids too!

N said...

Oh, wow, those nutty buddies look really good!

I did go and watch the loaf demo and it looks good, too. Thanks for introducing me to Chef AJ. :)