Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 3 Healthy Made Delicious

This was a fun project--thank you Chef AJ! All of the food on your DVD is fabulous and we will be making the recipes often. Next I am going to work on the recipes in Dr. Fuhrman's Disease Proof Your Child. There are about 50 recipes in the book, and while we do not have children, the recipes look tasty and fun! And we love fun food!! Here is what I made yesterday:
d
Nutrient Rich Chocolate Smoothie
Smokey Black Bean Soup
Dream of Tomato Soup
Chocolate Mousse Torte
d
The Nutrient Rich Chocolate Smoothie was very yummy! I've said before that I am very used to a berry based smoothie, but trying these new flavors has been fun! I think I made it a bit runnier than I like, so next time I will add a bit more frozen banana. But it's very tasty--I gave it an A.

d
The Smokey Black Bean Soup was FABULOUS!! We gave it an A+. I added some guacamole on top--but you could add cilantro, nuts--lots of different flavors. Next time I will puree it a bit more--but we absolutely loved it. Tons of flavor!! I served it with some corn tortillas squeezed with lime. Really yummy meal.

d
In Chef AJ's DVD, she says that the Dream of Tomato Soup can be used as a topping for veggies--so that is what I did. I steamed some broccoli and cauliflower and added the dreamy tomato on top! It went really nicely with the black bean soup. We gave it an A-

d
Ok, I completely botched the recipe for the Chocolate Mousse Torte! But Haze still gave it an A+ + + so I guess you totally do not have to know how to cook to make this recipe taste great!! I ran out of nuts--so I had to make a completely different crust (I used the crust from Eat for Health's Bluevado Pie--which is Swiss Familia Cereal and dates). I also turned them into cupcakes--which is becoming a standard for me! The mousse is creamy and chocolatey and delicious!! You could serve this recipe to anyone and they would love it.
d

2 comments:

Team G said...

I am enjoying your blog a lot! My husband and I are approaching an "Eat to Live" life and your blog is really a great help!

Jana Diedrich said...

Thank you Team G! I will be doing all of the Dr. Fuhrman recipes--Eat to Live as well. This has been a wonderful experience and it's really fun! It is helping us to stay committed, and I love helping others too. Thanks for reading!!