Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child/ Day 1

Hello Everyone and bon appetit! I want to start by saying that I am going to take my time going through this book!! I did Eat for Health in 30 days--and that was about 130 recipes. Wooohoo!! That had to be a record. DPYC has about 50 recipes, and I will be doing them sort of randomly--not exactly in the order in the book. In between books, we cooked lots of our favorite recipes from Eat for Health. After cooking like a lunatic for 30 days, the easier/ faster recipes were top on our list --like Vegetable Burritos and Yummy Banana Bars. They are easy to make and oooooh soooo good. We also ate the California Creamed Kale, and AJ's Hail to the Kale Salad almost daily!! (Chef AJ graciously gave us her delicious Hail to the Kale Salad recipe and it is posted on this blog.) And then over the weekend we went to one of our favorite vegetarian restaurants. I ordered my favorite dish as is--just to see how it tasted to me now, and it tasted really very salty. Next time I will be more careful and ask for sauces on the side as we do love the food there and want to be able to continue dining out! It kind of makes me sad to know how much salt I was happily and unknowingly eating before--and how unnecessary it is. It seriously took me only a few weeks to not even notice the low sodium anymore. If you are curious about the dangers of salt and why I keep bringing up salt, go to Dr. Fuhrman's website and please read: http://drfuhrman.com/faq/question.aspx?sid=16&qindex=1

Here is another article that just came out today (as I was typing this!) on Dr. Fuhrman's blog...
Summary: On Wednesday, January 20th, about a week after NYC Mayor Bloomberg proposed his controversial salt reduction initiative, evidence was presented in the New England Journal of Medicine that salt reduction truly can save lives.
http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtful-food-salt-update.html
d
So to begin--here is what I made yesterday!
d
Split Pea and Tofu Dog Soup
What is up with cooking peas, beans and lentils in the state of Colorado!!?? I soaked the crap out of the split peas PLUS I cooked them for an hour longer than the recipe said--and they were still not done. I know it takes longer because of the altitude, but that was ridiculous. I do have a pressure cooker--I will definitely use that next time. Anyway, my tofu dogs got waaaay over cooked, so Haze and I fished them out and started over. I cut up 2 new tofu dogs, and sauteed them in a tiny bit of olive oil and then sprinkled them on top. Beside the fact that the split peas were still slightly undercooked--we gave the recipe an A-

d
Healthy Potato Fries
The Fries were a nice treat with the soup! We added a big sprinkle of Mrs. Dash to them, and they were very tasty!! We gave them an A. I served this meal with the steamed kale version of AJ's Hail to the Kale Salad--and it was all just a perfect combo. (You seriously have to try this kale recipe!! Kale is one of the healthiest foods on the planet!!)

d
Dessert
For dessert I made Eat for Health's Yummy Banana Bars, and added pureed raspberries to the center (per Haze's request). They were awesome!! Will show you a pic of those too. All for now and have a happy day!!

d

5 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Jana, I was looking at the "Eat For Health" cookbooks and noticed there are two of them. Which one did you cook all of the recipes from? I also noticed the "Eat to Live" book by the same author. Do you recommend starting with that one? Just wondering..... This would be a BIG change for me if I started this diet because I LOVE salt!!! (and I'm not a vegetarian)
Laura

Jana Diedrich said...

Hi Laura,
You don't have to be a vegetarian to be on this food plan. There are recipes for chicken, fish and even steak! Dr. Fuhrman wants you to eat less meat, very low sodium and super high nutrient foods like kale, salad, green vegetables etc. My husband was a HUGE salt eater and now he eats low sodium and really notices when food tastes salty. It took us just a few weeks to get there--and we are so glad we did! We feel really good!

I would recommend starting with the Eat For Health books--when you buy it, it comes in a set (book 1 and book 2). Book 1 talks about the high nutrient food plan and Book 2 is the cookbook.

Good luck and let me know if you have other questions!!

Jana

Laura said...

Thanks! One more question.... does this diet cause any embarrassing side effects?
(because of all the beans?)

Jana Diedrich said...

Laura,
If you are not used to beans then yes, you may have a side affect! ha ha :O) But Dr. Fuhrman says you can add more veggies and eat a smaller abount of beans until you are used to them, and then gradually increase the beans . It won't be long though--I promise!
Jana

Mr. Curious said...

Hi, Do you have any tips for cooking the Healthy Potato Fries? How long did you soak them in apple juice and how long did they bake? I have a small tabletop convection oven which I plan on making them today.