Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child/ Day 3

Here was yesterday's menu:
d
Cabbage Raisin Soup
Veggies with Hot Russian Dressing
Apricot Brown Rice
Banana/ Pineapple Sorbet
d
Soooo... I think I need to stick to the planned out menus because this meal just did not harmonize together--which was my fault! I may have got a little spoiled on Eat for Health which I think was really beautifully all planned out. Anyway, here are my thoughts.
d
The Cabbage Raisin Soup is just fantastic. It was a solid A. I did not puree all of the cabbage--I left some chopped up in the soup--I love the velvety texture of cooked cabbage. And it was a bit sweet, but in a raisiny kind of way--not a carrot juicy kind of way (which I liked). I had to add a bit more liquid than called for--actually a lot more. But overall it was really wonderful and easy to make, but looks and tastes like it was really hard!! I did not add the nuts--but just sprinkled some on top. I think it should be served with a nice big salad with a creamy dressing (not sweet), and/ or some lemony greens.

d
The Hot Russian Dressing first of all, is not hot. And I kind of wished it was hot! I've had Dr. Fuhrman's Russian Fig Dressing so much (from the Eat for Health cookbook)--that this tasted to me like an early version of that dressing. I think the Russian Fig is much better! I did not like the Hot Russian Dressing and gave it a C. My pic for this did not turn out--sorry! I took 3 and they were all 3 fuzzy!
d
I think I am not a good judge of the Apricot Brown Rice so I am not going to grade it. To me it tasted sort of like an Indian brown rice pudding dish, which I do not like anyway. I think lots of people do like brown rice pudding--and if so, you will probably like this dish very much! It was definitely not the right side dish for the Cabbage Soup because it was also a bit sweet. But do try it!

d
Banana/ Pineapple Sorbet--what can I say but A!! I swear this "ice cream" method works with any fruit you can think of. You can add cinnamon, dates, nuts, vanilla, other extracts--there are just endless ways to make this. They are all wonderful!!

Pics are:Raisin Cabbage SoupApricot Brown RiceBanana/ Pineapple Sorbet

2 comments:

Jenn in MO said...

Jana - what brand Blender and/or Food Processor do you use? I need to purchase one and have been looking at the Vita Mix but the price tag is so high.

Jana Diedrich said...

Hi Jenn,
I do have a Vitamix. Before that I had 2 other blenders (I don't think they were considered "high powered") that ended up breaking and I had had it!! You really need a high powered blender to blend the frozen fruits--otherwise you would have to add lots more liquid to get things moving and it would not turn into the ice cream texture--it would be runnier. Even with the Vitamix, you have to be careful--blending the wetter things first. I know they are pricey--but I truly use mine enough to make it worth it. Smoothies, salad dressings, blending soups, making ice creams etc. I use it at least once a day if not more. A friend of mine just told me she got one on a payment plan! Here is website I just found--it mentions a less expensive brand but still considered high powered. Good luck to you!! http://www.discountjuicers.com/blendercompare.html
Jana