Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child/ Day 4

Want to be as strong as a Texas firefighter? Chef AJ, whose recipes I cooked right here from her DVD Healthy Made Delicious, has a friend named Rip Esselstyn. Rip Esselstyn has a very popular book out called The Engine 2 Diet. As you know, I am a nutrition bookworm, so I just had to get this book to read it. I am only a few chapters in, but I think it's motivating and fun and I have decided to blog through it next! One of Rip's mottos is: Melt away the pounds, look terrific and become bullet-proof to Western diseases. I love that!! The food sounds hearty, manly, and totally yummy. Haze is very excited about this one!! So stay tuned for The Engine 2 Diet! For more information, you can go to Rip's website: http://www.theengine2diet.com/
d
Here is what we had yesterday:
d
Broccoli with Garlic
Squash Fantasia
Quinoa and Nut Loaf
Banana Nut Cookies
d
The Broccoli with Garlic was simple as pie to make and really just so good!! It really just took a few minutes! Haze and I both loved it and gave it an A+ We will be making this easy recipe lots.
d
I think I have decided that I just don't like sweet squash that much (like Butternut or Acorn types) But I do LOVE yams And Haze is just the opposite--does not like yams, but likes squash. So... the Squash Fantasia was not my favorite--but Haze liked it!! He gave it a B. I would have liked it more with yams, I think.

d
d
The Quinoa and Nut Loaf was really good, but a bit of quinoa overload. It could have used more ingredients like more veggies. Also--it really didn't need to be a "loaf"--it could have just been a mixture. It was a little odd--guess we are used to a different type of loaf now--like the Lentil Loaf. Anyway, it tasted really good! Next time we will add more veggies and just serve it as a mixture/ salad type dish. We gave it an A-

d
There are some ingredients even in the Dr. Fuhrman books that I refuse to eat, and I usually just omit or add something else. Like, for example...shredded coconut. I do not eat shredded coconut ever since I was 6 years old and there was ... let's just say... an "incident" involving me, a very large German Chocolate cake, and then me barfing. So I just work around it. That being said, The Banana Nut Cookies were supposed to contain coconut, and I think I pretty well explained above that I do not eat shredded coconut. So instead I added a few more nuts, and a few handfuls of oatmeal, and a few currants too!! These dessert recipes are really almost impossible to screw up!! They turned out fabulous and we gave them an A!

Pics are:Plate of Broccoli and Garlic/ Squash Fantasia/ Quinoa and Nut LoafQuinoa Nut Loaf

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Is the recipe for the lentil loaf one you can share? I love lentils.

Naina said...

The cookies look good! I too love
nutrition books. I own many, and refer to them often. I will be looking forward to The Engine 2 Diet.
As many books as I have read, I should be healthy. The trouble is, auto immune issues keep me hopping.
My husband bought me the book "the kind diet" just last night. It is written by Alicia Sliverstone.
I have scanned the book, I am not
excited about it, but, I will read it.
Thanks for posting! :)

Anonymous said...

You will enjoy the Engine 2 dielt. I've done lots of the dishes in the book. Yum!
Have your read This Crazy Vegan Life by Christine Pirello? Check out that one too.
Debbi

Jana Diedrich said...

Have not read This Crazy Vegan Life--will have to check it out! Thanks!!

Jana