Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child/ Day 5

I had a nice conversation with my friends on the Dr. Fuhrman Website yesterday (on the discussion forum). We decided that they need a good vegetarian show on Food Network. Chef AJ? Let's get it done!! I also got a request to post my grading scale again--so here it is!

d
A+ Totally enjoyable meal--can't wait to make and eat again! Guest worthy.
A or A- Will happily make again and it will be a staple in our house.
B+ or B I know it's good for me and it tastes really good too--will be a good week-night meal
B- Will make again but I won't be that excited about it!
C+ or less Will probably not make again, or I will try to modify more to my liking
d
I don't think anything has been a D or F, well, except maybe the Nutrient Rich Chocolate Pudding from Eat for Health!! But actually--Haze ate that!! But it was just not to my taste at all. Oh well--I think overall Eat for Health is a FANTASTIC set of recipes and will be making those dishes for a long long time!! Dr. Fuhrman gets an A+ for EFH!! Hooray!! Here was yesterdays dishes:
d
String Beans and Almond Dust
Quinoa in Color
Quick Soy Cheese Pita Pizza
Vanilla-Carob Fudge
d
For the String Beans and Almond Dust I used haricot verts (love those) and I had no almonds so I used pine nuts. It was very light and easy to make. I thought it needed some zing so I squeezed some lemon on mine. Haze liked them as is. We gave them an A-
d
I can't believe how much I love Quinoa! I had never had it before until I started this project. I have loved every recipe with it! I did not have all of the "colors" for the Quinoa in Color so I used the veggies I had on hand (asparagus was one) and it was just really yummy! A-
I pretty much like any kind of pizza--so the Quick Soy Cheese Pita Pizza was no exception. Whole wheat really bothers me and I had no idea what to use for the crust so.......I took some Ryvita Rye and Oat Bran Crispbread crackers (like Ryecrisps) and used those! Not sure if these are Fuhrman Friendly, but they actually worked pretty well. They got just a tiny bit soggy in the middle--but it was pretty good!! I am excited to have a pizza "crust" that is not whole wheat. We gave this an A-
d
The Vanilla-Carob Fudge was pretty darn tasty--but I felt like I gained 10 pounds just licking my fingers while I was making it! It is super rich--and I am finding that I prefer the fruity/ lighter desserts much better. Also--I used cacao powder (instead of carob). The fudge got
a B.
Pics are:Plate of String Beans with Almond Dust/ Quick Soy Cheese Pizza/ Quinoa in ColorVanilla-Carob Fudge

15 comments:

Naina said...

It all looks tasty to me! I am all for Chef AJ getting a show!

I too can't eat wheat or gluten grains. I do eat whole brown rice
burrito shells. The are tasty! The can be a tad dry and break. To soften I put mine in the microwave for about 15 seconds. I know, I know, microwaves alter foods. I rarely use it! I promise. Anyway I am thinking, if I bake one until crispy, it might be a perfect pizza crust! I'll have to try it out.
Thanks for posting. :)

Naina said...

Oh..me, I published my last comment, before proof reading? Oops! Hope it's ok :(

Jana Diedrich said...

Hi Naina,
I just actually listened to a Dr. Fuhrman teleconference the other day where he talked about microwaving. And according to him, it's not a bad thing and it does not alter food. The only thing bad (as with any cooking method) is over cooking--you never want to over cook. I was glad to hear that! I feel much better about my microwave now!

The Ryecrips flatbread was actually pretty tasty for the pizza crust!!

Jana

Naina said...

Thanks for the info!!! I will now
feel better about using my microwave too! :) YES!

I love rye, unfortunately it has gluten in it. :(

Jana Diedrich said...

Aaah the gluten. I don't know what it is in whole wheat that bothers me (it brings on my sleep apnea--and I have totally narrowed it down to whole wheat). So I guess it is not gluten--Rye breads do not bring on sleep apnea for me.

Thanks for the comments!

Jana :O)

Anonymous said...

Jana, I am so glad you will be blogging on the Engine 2 Diet next! I have that book too, and have only tried a few recipes so far. Rip Esselstyn's dad, Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., M.D. also wrote a fantastic book called Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and there are more than 150 vegan recipes in that book that look really good and simple. So, another one to think about for your blog.

So glad you are continuing with this. I love reading your blog. Such fun, entertaining and very useful information. I totally agree that there needs to be a veggie/vegan Food Network Show. I watch it even though most of the shows are totally meat based.

Carrie C.

Anonymous said...

Jana, I am so glad you will be blogging on the Engine 2 Diet next! I have that book too, and have only tried a few recipes so far. Rip Esselstyn's dad, Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., M.D. also wrote a fantastic book called Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and there are more than 150 vegan recipes in that book that look really good and simple. So, another one to think about for your blog.

So glad you are continuing with this. I love reading your blog. Such fun, entertaining and very useful information. I totally agree that there needs to be a veggie/vegan Food Network Show. I watch it even though most of the shows are totally meat based.

Carrie C.

Anonymous said...

What kind of soy cheese did you use?

Anonymous said...

Jana, I'm so glad you are blogging on the Engine 2 Diet next. I have that book too, and haven't tried many of the recipes yet, so looking forward to seeing photos of the recipes and reading your reviews. Rip's dad, Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D. also wrote a great book with over 150 vegan recipes. It's called Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. So, another one to think about. I absolutely love your blog and look forward to reading it -- fun, entertaining and informative. Love it when you talk about your dogs too. So cute.

Carrie C.

Jana Diedrich said...

Ugh! I finished off the soy cheese package last night and so just dug through the trash to find it!! Found it! It was called Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternative--Monterey Jack. On the package it says, "It Melts!" but it doesn't really totally melt very well. I sort of bounce back and forth to different brands and types (rice/ soy/ vegan)--some of them not totally 100% vegan, but I use so little of it I think I'm ok.

Jana :O)

Jana Diedrich said...

Chef AJ was telling me about the book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease--maybe that one will be next, next!

Jan said...

Jana, my husband and I began the Eat for Health program a few weeks ago after years of on and off following the Eat to Live plan. I can't tell you how happy I was to find your blog with pictures, ratings and tips!! Perfect timing...thank you so much! I'm a total health/nutrition bookworm too and own the Fire Engine 2 book as well as his dad's book, Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease. I really like the recipes I've tried and was just thinking today that I hoped you would go to those next!

I wish Food Network would get a vegetarian/vegan show too!

Aannsha said...

Hi Jana, I left an earlier comment - but since I wrote that one, I've just posted on my own blog and have included a link to your blog. I hope you don't mind. If you'd like to read the post, which contains the link, its here: http://innertransformer.com/2010/01/30/eating-transformation/

If its also all right with you, I will be adding a link to your blog down the right menu bar on the site, as I really think your blog is a valuable resource. Keep up what you're doing!

Kind regards
Aannsha

Wendy said...

I am crazy excited to have found your blog! Been following Dr. Fuhrman's advice for 6 months now and I'm always trying out new recipes. I'm so happy that I can look to you for the best of Dr. Fuhrman's suggested recipes so that I don't have to suffer through some of the not-so-wonderful ones!
http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com

Jana Diedrich said...

Aannash--thank you so much for the nice comments! Love your site and I added it to my list as well :O)

Wendy--love your Sugar Monster comments on your blog! Same goes for me! ADD desserts to your life, to rid yourself of the sugar monster cravings--only healthy desserts! But those carrot cupcakes I made last night tasted better than ANYTHING with sugar!!

Jana