Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child


d
For me, my sugar addiction has not gone away until I completely eliminated processed sugar, and starting adding desserts to my life! But the desserts are made from whole, unprocessed foods. It sounds contradictory to add desserts, but it's true. Haze and I ate dessert almost every night when I was working through the Eat for Health cookbook. They were all different and exciting! We always ate them right after dinner--so we always made sure to leave some room. It was such a treat!! In the past I have always tried to eliminate all desserts. But it never works. I am looking through my Eat for Health cookbook—and there are almost all A’s next to every one of the desserts!! We truly enjoyed them. You just can’t even believe how wonderful they are! I feel like I don’t even need processed sugar anymore. They are that good. So the book I have chosen to work on next is Disease Proof your Child—Feeding Kids Right. It’s filled with FUN sounding meals, lots of desserts (hooray!!) and I we are both so excited to get started! Take a second look at these amazing, delicious, and NUTRITIOUS desserts!!
d

3 comments:

Jenn in MO said...

Wow Jana - those desserts look great. Can you tell us which ones they are from the book? I have 2 little boys I would love to get on board with the Eat to Live program. Thanks so much for your blog!

Jana Diedrich said...

Hi Jenn,
Thanks for the comment! The desserts are all from the Eat For Health book and are: (from top to bottom)
Healthy Chocolate Cake (made into cupcakes!)
Bluevado Pie (made into cupcakes!)
(can you tell we like cupcakes!?)
Jenna's Peach Freeze
Banana Walnut Ice Cream (with a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder added)
Fruit Salad with Strawberry Sauce
Very Berry Ice Cream

For the Ice Creams, you will need a high-powered blender--but it is so worth it. They are all so amazingly good. No sugar, no white flour, and mostly fruit--but they taste like honest to goodness dessert. Your kids will love them! And you will too!!

Thanks for reading!
Jana

Jana Diedrich said...

Oops--forgot the last one. It is called Apple Surprise :O)