Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child/ Day 2

My kitchen is tiny! They did not make em big back in the 1920's. All they needed room for back then was one pot, one pan, and a big spoon (I think--don't quote me on my facts.) Everything is crammed into cupboards and I think it's time to clean out. One cupboard down below is filled with various layers of pots and pans and glassware. Every time I pull something out of there it makes a loud "CLANG!" and sends my manly dog Alfie running to the back bedroom to hide. But the sad part is the loud clang scares my deaf dog Violet as well! Maybe I will just pull it all out, then put it all back in a neater stack. I need all that stuff!
d
Here is what I made yesterday:
d
Tomato Tornado Soup
This recipe was super easy to make (which I love!) and it tasted great! I love anything tomato. It would be easy to add other veggies like mushrooms, spinach, zucchini--I can see it will be very versatile. I gave it an A- (the ease of the recipe pushed it from a B+) I served it with Chef AJ's Hail to Kale (yes again) but this time AJ suggested it with (instead of kale) broccoli and/ or qinoua--and so I just added all 3! Will show you a pic too!! (Chef AJ's Hail to the Kale recipe was posted here on the blog--let me know if you can't find it!)
d
d
Whipped Banana Freeze with the optional strawberries
Holy cow these are all just so wonderful. A+! It's soooooo much better than ice cream--it feels wonderful after you eat it too. There is no guilt, no indigestion, no 5-pound weight gain!! It is just pure pleasure!!
Pics are:Tomato Tornado Soup(Chef AJ's Hail to Kale with Quinoa and Broccoli)Banana Whip with the optional strawberries

4 comments:

N said...

Definitely a favorite dessert of mine, too! :) We are partial to blueberries at my house.

Anonymous said...

Great blog, so glad that you are sharing all of this, very inspiring, thanks for the awesome work and effort!

HealthyMeg said...

Thank you so much for doing this! I just joined Dr. Fuhrman's site and am on Day 8 of Eating for Health. Hubby has gone on with me, but is a real carnivore. He's happy with the weight loss but has stopped looking forward to dinner. This helps me look at and critique recipes beforehand! Plus, we have the same dishes, so I know my dinner will look *just* like that on the table. Thanks for your work!

Jana Diedrich said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I really appreciate hearing from you... We loooove blueberries too, but they are reserved for the Eat Your Greens Smoothie every morning!! YUM!!

Thanks HealthyMeg--and good luck to you! Yes, we love our colorful dishes and made an effort to get "pretty" things for our table so that the food just looks better.

Jana
:O)