Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Monday, February 1, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child/ Day 6

Aaaaah what a nice weekend!! I worked out with my group at Red Rocks (sooo fun), Haze and I worked on our artwork, we watched movies--and I took a small break from cooking!! So no recipes from Disease Proof today. We went out to dinner with friends on Friday night--and had soooo much fun! We had sushi! We started with edamame (no salt) and a big salad. Then we had a variety of vegan sushi, and some fish too--all made with brown rice. It was fabulous! I took the wasabi, and instead of blasting it with soy sauce like I normally would--I mixed it with water and then just a pinch of low-sodium soy sauce. Really good !! Saturday we had lunch at Whole Foods Salad Bar--and I am really starting to see Dr. Fuhrman's influence there. (He has been working with Whole Foods.) The Salad Bar had more whole grains, no salt beans, and some really nice kale dishes too. It was such a treat!! Last night we heated up some frozen soup (The African Lentil from Eat for Health) and I was craving carrot cake so I took Dr. Fuhrman's Healthy Chocolate Cake recipe from EFH--and came up with my own Carrot Cupcakes! I think it is ok to post the recipe since I totally changed and modified it around and made it my own. If you make them--let me know what you think!!
d



d

Jana Banana’s Carrot Cupcakes with Cinnamon Raisin Icing (makes 12 cupcakes)

Cupcake Ingredients
1/2 + 1/3 cups whole spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-3/4 cups pitted dates
1/2 cup soymilk
1/2 cup pineapple chunks in own juice, drained
1/2 banana
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 small carrot, cut into chunks
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup shredded zucchini
1/4 cup dry currants or raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cinnamon Icing Ingredients
1/2 cups raw macadamia nuts
1/2 cup soymilk
1/3 cup raisins
10 brazil nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon Caramel Extract (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix first six ingredients in a small bowl (from flour to nutmeg). In high powered blender, add next 7 ingredients (from dates to small carrot cut into chunks) and puree. In a large mixing bowl mix all ingredients together and blend well. Spoon the mixture into a muffin tin (lined with paper cupcake liners) and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.

To make icing puree all icing ingredients until smooth using a high-powered blender. You may need to add a few extra nuts or a little more soymilk to get the proper thickness. Spread on cooled cupcakes. Bon app├ętit!

4 comments:

Naina said...

Those cupcakes look YUMMIE! I don't have all the ingredients. :(
I think I will improvise, and see
what happens. I haven't baked since starting eat to live, and I miss baking. Thanks for the inspiration! Glad you two had a great weekend. :)

kneecap said...

This looks good! I will try it sometime!

I'm glad to hear about the improved offerings at Whole Foods!

-barb

Jana Diedrich said...

Let me know how you like them!!
Jana

Anonymous said...

These were WICKED good. My kids gobbled them up and begged for more.