Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child/ Day 8

What a fantastic dinner last night!! Disease-Proof Your Child is definitely not a weight-loss book. I did not expect to lose weight on this book, but I have also not gained any weight back. Not even one ounce. My problem in the past has been losing weight and then gaining it right back. So this blog is my attempt at teaching myself how to cook, how to maintain a healthy weight--but in a fun and totally satisfying/ tasty way! So far, so good! This has been an incredible experience!! I have learned so much--just by picking up and doing it. Not just reading, but doing. Come and join me!! I love to hear your comments, and again thank you all for reading!!
d
Last night we made:
Eggplant Sicilian
Wild Rice and Broccoli
Fuhrman Fudgsicles
d
The Eggplant Sicilian was out of this world yummy--and pretty easy to make. I didn't quite understand from the instructions how I was supposed to layer, so I sort of winged it. But it turned out great! Very tasty, very filling--we gave it an A. The Wild Rice and Broccoli was super easy and really good too. Very simple side dish. Not alot of flavors going on--which was good. The wild rice and broccoli were enough. We gave it an A. They went very well together!
d
The Fuhrman Fudgsicles were super rich--and just not our thang. I had to run them under hot water a long time to get them out--and they were sort of melty by then. And, we are more ice-cream-in-a-bowl type people, than ice-cream-on-a-stick type people. It was super rich from the nuts and I think overall we like the lighter ice creams--with more fruit. I did however, throw some tangerine juice into a few of the popcicle makers and they were super yummy!! I called them Tangerinsicles!!
d
Pics are:Plate of Wild Rice and Broccoli, and Eggplant SicillianFuhrman FudgsiclesTangerinsicles

1 comment:

Naina said...

This dinner looks tempting. :)
I made my carrot cupcakes today.
The flavor was awesome. The rise,
not so good. :( They are more like a bread pudding texture. I am certain it is due to the fact I can't use spelt.(gluten) Gluten free grains don't rise. It takes a complex blend of gains, starches, eggs, and gums, to get a good result. I am avoiding all of the above, with the exception of the whole grains. However, they are still very tasty. :) I used sorghum and oatmeal. Thanks again!