Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child/ Day 9

Hello everyone! Working on art projects--so I've been busy last few days. I spent a glorious morning at the Denver Art Museum. What a great place to get lost!!
d
So let's have a drum roll please for the best dinner in the whole DPYC book!! This is what we had:
d
Purple Potato Salad
Veggie Meat Loaf/ with BBQ Sauce on top

d
My Purple Potato Salad was not purple--but it was still awesome!! They only had green cabbage at the Whole Foods Salad Bar, and I only needed a little so that is what I got. I admit that I added a tad more mayo than was required, but this dish was FABULOUS!! We both absolutely loved it and gave it an A+.
d
The Veggie Meat Loaf recipe called for ground steak--and I didn't want to use meat, and I didn't have some of the ingredients, but I had lots of stuff on hand--so I just started tossing stuff in the bowl! It actually turned out great! Here is the recipe I used--which is different enough from the book to share with you! I know I'm supposed to make the recipes as is, but I am getting a little cocky with my new cooking skills!! ha he!! A+ meal!! The BBQ sauce is a MUST!!

Jana's Veggie Lentil Loaf
1/2 cup minced walnuts
1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
1 onion minced
1 cup minced portabello mushrooms
2 cans lentils (one pureed/ one whole)
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup cooked brown rice
2 cups minced spinach
splash of low sodium v-8
4 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup parsley minced
1/2 cup red pepper chopped
1/2 cup celery chopped
lots of black pepper
d
I sauteed the onion, garlic, mushroom, red pepper, celery in a smidgen of olive oil then mushed all ingredients together, put it in a loaf pan and I baked it at 350 for 50 minutes.
d
It was really good!! I served it a nice salad with Dr. F's Balsamic Vinaigrette from Eat for Health, and I YES, I made cupcakes again!! Great combo dinner platter!! YUM!
d

4 comments:

Naina said...

Jana, thanks for your Veggie Lentil Loaf recipe!! I will try it this coming week. Did the loaf firm up nicely? I attempted a take on VJ'S lentil loaf. It turned out to mushy for my taste.
She said, it is better the next day.
I hope so. :) I confess, I didn't have all the ingredients, so I improvised. That could be the problem.;-)

Jana Diedrich said...

It firmed up nicely--and yes it was even better the next day!! The BBQ sauce and potato salad are a must!!

eloi said...

I made your veggie lentil loaf over the weekend, improvised a little teenie bit as I didn't have some of the ingredients and added a little more oatmeal, I think it depends on how much moisture is in the veggies as to how it will turn out, either way it is so delicious. Its going to have to be something that i'll keep in my freezer. I've been using the left overs, scooping it out and making Lentil burgers with it, yum yum yum lol.

aannsha said...

Hi Jana, I'm very impressed with the recipes that you're creating!

I've just got Disease-Proof your Child from the library and will be having a go at some of the recipes myself.