Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child

I've been slacking on cooking the last few days!! We have been kind of floundering, and not eating very well and are feeling the effects. Haze and I have decided on a slight change of plans. Haze's colitis symptoms are still there--we knew it would take awhile to go away--but he has requested more Dr. Fuhrman recipes. So we are going to do the book Eat to Live next. We will still do Engine 2 Diet--but slightly later than planned. I've read Eat to Live cover to cover probably 5 times, but have only made a teeny/tiny handful of the recipes.
d
So, as far as Disease Proof Your Child--I think I am about done with the recipes! The remaining recipes are ones that are either very similar to ones that we have already made or are just far too rich. We found that we did not like the very rich desserts. But we definitely found some keeper recipes in Disease-Proof!! But for now, we want to get some more of that super healthy/ cleansed and alive feeling back! We are starting Eat to Live tomorrow (Monday) so bon app├ętit and stay tuned for Eat to Live in color!!
d
d

5 comments:

Naina said...

Jana, I am all about Dr. Fuhrman's recipes. I am currently trying to cook this way myself.
I am feeling sad for Haze, and will be praying for his recovery.
I stumbled across this site
(helpforibs.com) I didn't buy any of the products. However, I did give them my e-mail, and they sent me a letter that contained what they are calling a "cheat sheet" for eating with IBS. Now, I know Haze has a far more serious condition than IBS. Yet, I thought you two might look over the "cheat sheet" and see what you think. I have found relief!! (By following the rules of the "cheat sheet") I do still try to eat Fuhrman friendly, I simply have to change the order and amount of some foods. It is working for me.
I avoid some of the foods on the
"cheat sheet" like white bread etc.
Keep posting! :)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that you are doing the ETL recipes, I loved your daily documentation of Eat for Health. Thank you so much...I also think it's pretty cool your that Haze ask for more "Fuhrman" type food. Can't wait for more updates on ETL!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the ETL recipe reviews, is it starting soon?

Anonymous said...

I love most of those receipes in the Eat To Live book.
Debbi

Jana Diedrich said...

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your comments! Will start posting daily again with ETL recipes. Having lots of fun!!

Naina--thank you so much! We will definitely check out that site. Haze really appreciated your comments too!! :O)