Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Eat to Live/ Day 3

Yesterday I made the Eat to Live recipe called Bean Enchiladas. It's one of those recipes that sounds way to simple, and you wonder how on earth it will taste good with hardly any ingredients? Even while I was making it I was thinking, hmmmm--not looking like it will taste good!! But wow did it fool us! Both Haze and I gave it an A+ We will be making this easy recipe lots!! If you wanted you could swap out ingredients and add spinach, zucchini, cauliflower or whatever you like--but the veggies he selected were just perfect. The only change I made was to add some soy cheese on top (just a little!) and I served this with a large green salad with the Eat for Health dressing Dijon Date. It was a great meal!
dd
As far as the taco sauce in the recipe--here is what I did. I mixed 1/4 cup of of regular canned red enchilada sauce (can't find any low sodium--so this was just the lowest sodium one I could find) (it was La Victoria brand) so I took a 1/4 cup of that and mixed it with about 2/3 can no-salt tomatoes (I used those fire-roasted ones) and I blended that together. Then I took the corn tortillas and dipped all of them one-by-one into this sauce (completely submerged). Then I rolled them up with the filling and poured the rest of the sauce on top. Try to stuff as much filling as you can into each one--I stuffed a lot and even had some left over. These are so easy and so good!!
Filling for Bean Enchiladas
d
Bean Enchiladas (with soy cheese on top)
Pics are:Bean Enchilada filling

4 comments:

Naina said...

That looks guest worthy to me too!
I didn't have corn tortillas, so I
used brown rice burrito shells instead. This was so good! Thanks for sharing. :)

Team G said...

All of your pictures are inspiring! Thanks for this recipe!

Jana Diedrich said...

Ooooh I will have to try the enchiladas with the spelt tortillas too! We really loved those!!
Jana

Emily's Nutritarian Journey said...

I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. You just helped me decide what to cook for dinner tonight! It's funny--I'm doing a very similar blog to yours, and I'm going through Eat to Live's Six-Week plan first. I first read "Eat to Live" over a year ago and loved it. Dr. Fuhrman is so right! :-)