Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Eat to Live/ Day 4



Hi Everyone!
First of all--someone asked for the recipe for Jana Banana Chocolate/ Peppermint Ice Cream, so here it is!
Ingredients:
2 large Bananas
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup Soy Milk (or more)
2 medium Dates, chopped
1 T Cacao or Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Peppermint Extract (a few drops to taste)
Instructions:
Cut up bananas into small one-inch pieces, place in a baggie and freeze for 24 hours. To high-powered blender, add soy milk, vanilla, cocoa powder, dates, peppermint extract, and blend. Drop frozen banana pieces in slowly. You may need to add more soy milk to get the right consistency.
d
So last night I made Cara's Apple Cake from Eat to Live--and it was pretty good. I was hoping it would be a little better!! I think it is one of those recipes that I know it's good for me, and it satisfies a sweet tooth--but I'm not bananas over it. I topped it with some icing (I used the recipe from Healthy Chocolate Cake from Eat for Health--I added cinnamon instead of the cocoa) and icing helped!! It is very appley--and I think I wanted more of a "cake." But it will definitely get eaten!! We gave it a B+ The pics show the cake with and without the icing.
d
Pics are:Cara's Apple CakeCara's Apple Cake with Icing

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jana...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! I've been a "nutritarian" for several years now and own Eat to Live and Eat for Health, but I never made any of the recipes. Thanks to your blog though, I have started using the recipes and they are great! They've added some long needed variety in our meals. My husband has not been as easy a convert to this lifestyle as Haze, but he's getting there.

I hope you keep on blogging a very long time!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for you to do the E2 Plan!!!!

Jana Diedrich said...

Hi Anonymous,
My husband is not so easy to convert as it seems!! He really struggles with this. If the healthy food is in front of him he will eat it, but if not--he will stray. But he is definitely getting better and he really loves the food I am making. Thanks so much for reading!!
Jana

Ogden Frost said...

Thank you so much from me, too! I love your blog.

To a former non-cook trying to learn, the pictures help me immeasurably.

Please don't stop this blog. EVER!

Kirsten said...

Perfect find for me looking up "joel furhman apple cake?" in google, post-making it, hence not needing the recipe...but wondering if others had anything to say about it! I just came across his book in the bookstore the other day and thought some of his recipes looked interesting. I made this apple cake and was a bit disappointed, but mine looks like it has much more apples than yours- as the soymilk/apple juice doesn't cover the apples at all. even though I used 3, like it said. I like your grading system. I think I would give this a C-. Even though it ISN't BAD....but just not great! I can't remember what you gave it. But just thinking of serving this to anyone but myself and people close to me...I wouldn't really want to do that. This is getting long. Great blogging! :)