Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Eat to Live/ Day 5

So, Haze and I ate out quite a bit over the weekend. We mostly stayed on track for breakfast and lunch, but come dinner we were like King Henry the VIII at the restaurants. More butter! More sauce! We just don't quite get the concept yet of eating out and staying true to the food plan. We both pretty much felt crappy and both of our eyes were all swollen and puffy from the salt and excess food. Did anyone read Dr. Fuhrman's Disease Proof post yesterday called, Are You a Food Addict? (here is the link: http://www.diseaseproof.com/ ) Well I read that, and yes--I love all of those things! Canteloupe, mango, greens, kale, salad. I truly do! I crave my Eat Your Greens Smoothie every morning and have been adding kale to it. But I also love junk food too. And I don't know where I stand. Yesterday, all I wanted was the Smoothie for breakfast and lunch, and then a HUGE salad for dinner (plus the spinach dish that I made). It felt really good and it tasted really good after falling off the wagon over the weekend. This blog has been so good for me because I am teaching myself how to get back up after I fall down, as I teach myself how to cook great tasting healthy food. Thank you all so much for joining me on this journey!! Here is what I made yesterday:

d

Spinach and Mushroom Sauce

I served this dish with a giant salad and it just could not have been better. It was warm and creamy and I just almost wolfed it down! It kind of reminded me of a warm comfort food like mac and cheese! It was soooo good and sooooo simple. I ate a big bowl of it and will definitely be making this again. I gave it an A.

3 comments:

Naina said...

I read Dr. Furhman's post yesterday too. I have learned in a short 5 weeks, to love those foods too. So far, I am sticking as close to the plan as possible. Some things do have more salt, as salt-free is not available. I would like to think I wouldn't want to cheat on myself. However, you have been at this a lot longer, if you feel the need to junk out now and then, it might be that way for me too. I dunno? Besides, isn't that what 10% of the diet is all about? He..hee ;D

Jana Diedrich said...

Hi Naina,
Exactly--Dr. Fuhrman allows for that 10% of junk time! I think it's almost inevitable for me to occasionally fall off the wagon with holidays, parties, friends, and just life in general! Sometimes I just don't want to cook and I want to eat out like a "normal" person!! I think the trick is to jump RIGHT back into the plan. So that is what we are doing today!! Take care,
Jana

eloi said...

this salad looks great, I might just have to make this for supper tonight.

I've had the book for a year but only made a handful of the recipes from it so its really great to read you blog,