Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Eat to Live/ Day 6

Hello,
I am back! Took some time off from cooking, and we are ready for some good ETL food again! Dr. Fuhrman's article called Are You a Food Addict? really affected me. (here is the link again if you did not read it) http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtful-food-are-you-a-food-addict.html In his book Eat to Live, Dr. Furhman talks about following his food plan for the most part (90%) but then if you want have a small "cheat" (10%) then get right back on the plan. This might be one small cookie, or maybe some pasta. I think for some people this is a good idea. But for me, it is not. I don't seem to stop with one cookie! Maybe one box of cookies!! Sugar and it's cohorts profoundly affect me (white flour, white rice, alcohol). I am even discovering that salt has a negative affect on me as well. I do not drink alcohol (and have not for many years), and now I think I finally see that processed sugar has no place in my life as well. I have found so many wonderful dessert recipes from this whole food adventure, and I just need to keep on making them and eating them. It is a little difficult in our world because they put sugar and white flour in everything. So I will be vigilant!! Last night for dessert I made Poached Pears with Raspberry Sauce from the book Eat for Health. They were sooooooooooo good and so pretty too! And they could not be easier to make. Here is the latest recipe that I made from Eat to Live:
d
Grandma Tillie's Eggplant Dip
This was really yummy! It was warm and creamy--I could have almost eaten it as a soup! I served it with cut up veggies, but I think it would be better served on top of some steamed spinach or other greens. We gave it a B+



d

2 comments:

eloi said...

when I made the eggplant dip it didn't look anything at all like yours.. and I hated it. hmm i might have to try this one again.

Jana Diedrich said...

Hmmm--I may have added extra tomato. I also used canned/ unsalted tomatoes. Maybe that is why? Good luck with it!!
:O)