Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Disease-Proof Your Child/ Day 7

Hi All,
A friend on the Dr. Fuhrman website discussion board took the time to figure out the nutrition content of my Jana Banana Carrot Cupcakes!!
d
Below is the complete nutritional information she got with % daily values in parenthesis. The sodium content is based on using low sodium baking powder (which I did not know existed), and regular baking soda, however if you used a low sodium baking soda substitute it would be less:
d
Nutrition Facts/ Jana Banana Carrot Cupcakes
Serving Size 113 g (1 cupcake)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 251/ Calories from Fat 89
%Daily Value*
Total Fat 9.9g(15%)
Saturated Fat 0.9g(5%)
Trans Fat 0.0gCholesterol 0mg(0%)
Sodium 180mg(7%)
Total Carbohydrates 39.3g(13%)
Dietary Fiber 4.6g(18%)
Sugars 24.8gProtein 4.8g
Vitamin A 37%
Vitamin C 9%
Calcium 5%
Iron 8%
*Based on a 2000 calorie diet
d
Very interesting!! I ate 3 of them yesterday!! Ha ha ha!! But I worked out pretty hard, so I guess I am even. They are so good--I gave a few away to a friend and now I think there are 2 left. We will savor every crumb! Sooooo back to Disease-Proof Your Child--here is what we made yesterday:
d
Carrot Cream Soup
Sushi for Your Tootsie
Flax/ Oatmeal Bars
d
Ok, the Carrot Cream Soup was just very bland. It was not unpleasant, just very bland. I'm not quite sure how you could wake it up? Maybe some herbs? But I guess it was good with the sushi because we used tons of wasabi so it was good having something mild to eat too. I gave it a C, Haze refused to comment, but on the upside--Alfie, Dingo, and Violet (our family dogs) gave it an A+!! So none of it will go to waste!!

d
Sushi for Your Tootsie was yummy!! We just love sushi and this was fun to make. I went to Whole Foods and got edamame, nicely shredded carrots from the salad bar, plenty of wasabi, and some salmon to go with it. We also made Chef AJ's Hail to the Kale--yes again. Great meal!! A+

d
The Flax/ Oatmeal Bars did not turn out right. From the recipe you are supposed to "dehydrate" them in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes. And mine were still a soggy mess even after an hour. I think the recipe called for too much liquid. And I am not sure from the recipe how they are supposed to be at the end? Dry? Formed together? Anyway, they tasted pretty good--but could never get them cooked or "dehydrated" right. I gave them a C- We were ok with that though, because we were forced to eat more of the Carrot Cupcakes!! The picture looks pretty good, but underneath they were mushy...
d

1 comment:

colleen said...

Would you be interested in trying recipes from a gourmet raw vegan "cookbook"? I'm thinking about the "Raw Food Revolution Diet" by Cherie Soria. Let me know and I will send you a copy. Write to me at colleen@rawfoodchef.com
Thanks!