Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!

Friday, March 5, 2010

Hello my friends! Just a quick note to tell you that life is grand and I have been doing some other things lately--like working hard on my artwork. I will slowly make my way through Eat to Live and post another recipe soon. I have been cooking lots of meals from Eat for Health--I barely remember what I used to eat before I learned all of those great recipes!! When I eat out my goals are 100% whole foods, no sugar, no or low salt, no white flour--and I stick to that. If I slip up and eat sugar, it is generally 4-5 boxes of cookies later before I can get myself back on track! So I make damn sure that I eat Dr. Fuhrman desserts every day. The fruit ice creams, oat bars, cupcakes--and even just some luscious fruit! Hooray for tangerine season!! This totally helps me to stay on track.

Last Sunday I did the American Lung Association's Fight for Air Stair Climb to the top of the tallest building in downtown Denver!! I participated in the fund raising event with my boot camp group (Bonza Bodies) There were over 2,000 people in the race--56 floors and 1,098 steps to the top! One breath and one stair at a time, we took steps to raise money to help prevent lung disease and promote lung health. I had a blast!! My goal was to finish in under 30 minutes, and it took me only 14 minutes. I was so proud! I bet there is one in your city--so check it out! It's a great cause!! My father-in-law lost one lung to cancer, and I am ashamed to admit that I smoked cigarettes for about 15 years--(I quit over 6 years ago) so I was very proud to make it to the top. http://www.lungusa.org/donate/events/fight-for-air-climb/ BONZA!!

d

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear you are doing fab, will look forward to your recipes again soon. Glad life is good.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you to do the E2 recipes!!!! Hope you come back to blog land soon.

Dawn said...

So do you perfer the eat for Health recipes over the Eat for life? I only have the eat for health book and I was considering buying the other one.

Jana Diedrich said...

Yes I prefer the Eat For Health recipes over Eat to Live. It seems like they are just really well thought out--and I love the fact that he gives you all of the salad, side dishes, and dessert that go great with the meal. Eat to Live has kind of been bland so far--although I did like a few of the recipes. But overall, I LOVE Eat For Health!!

I will be back soon!! Trying to get motivated!! I have been making our favorite recipes from Eat for Health, but I promise I will finish Eat to Live. Thanks!! Glad you all are still our there!!
Jana

Heidi said...

where did you go????

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you come back soon, I also cant' wait for the E2 recipes....checking almost daily to see if you have started.

Christy said...

Where oh where did you go???? I check daily to see if you have blogged. Hurry back, please! I'm having withdrawals!

Kristen said...

Thank you for your blog!

I just started the Eat to Live program a few months ago, and while I can cook, I don't like to - only on special occasions. And that means I am left with a salad, beans from a can, and steamed veggies. Not a lot of variety!

So it is great to see pictures of all the recipies and your comments on making them. I am definitely going to need to start making some of them myself, starting with the Bean Enchiladas since you said they are easy to make!

Thanks again. :-)

Anonymous said...

Seriously, no offense intended - are you really going to continue this sometime soon or is it a lost interest?