Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!


Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 0/ Phase 1/ Week 1


The Jana/Dr. Joel Project--Blogging Julie/ Julia style

Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure of cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I would like to take on a similar challenge, only I will blog my way through a very healthy cookbook called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. It is a 2-book set, Book 1 is an explanation of this fabulous way of life, and Book 2 is a cookbook. So... starting December 15, 2009 I will begin this 4-week project! I will cook every recipe start to finish from Phase 1 to Phase 4 in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book--breakfast, lunch and dinner. And I will write about them. I will also tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. He is behind me 100% (actually encouraged me) as he has some very uncomfortable illnesses that desperately need attention.



Please visit Dr. Fuhrman's website at http://www.drfuhrman.com/ for more information and to purchase these books.







So to begin Julie Powell style:

The Book:
Eat for Health Book 2--first edition, 2008. Author, Dr. Joel Fuhrman M.D. The book that helped us to shed millions of pounds, helped cure diseases, relieved depression, saved untold thousands of lives.

The Contender:
Jana Diedrich. Artist by day (and by night), floundering but hopeful food addict. 44 years old, no children, 1 husband, 3 dogs and looking for a challenge. Risking her marriage (no Julia Child cuisine for him), she has signed herself up for an inspirational and enlightening assignment, hoping to re-direct and commit to this way of life.

28 days, over 128 recipes. One woman and a "pretty ok" kitchen.

The Goals:
1. To help my husband with his severe stomach issues: Gastro Esophageal Reflect Disease a.k.a. GERD and Acid Reflux, and Collagenous colitis. To help him lower his out of control cholesterol, and to help him lose 25 pounds.
2. The Standard American Diet (SAD) just makes me feel depressed and joyless. I want to feel light and happy all of the time! My other goal--to rid myself of my sleep apnea.

How far will it go? Tune in each day for the next 28 days and see... This project starts now!!

No comments: