Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!


Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 17/ Phase 3/ Week 3 Happy Anniversary Haze!

Hi All,

What is it about salt?? People always say that salt "brings out the flavor" of whatever you are eating. But doesn't it just bring out a salty flavor? And cover up all of the other flavors? Haze is having a waaaay harder time with the whole "no salt" thing than I am. I mean, I like salt! But I'm ok with not eating it right now. The low-sodium is making me feel really good--I've said this before--in a way I can't quite put my finger on. I think my body really likes it! But Haze is having salt withdrawels--and it's making him slightly cranky. (when I say "slightly cranky" I mean totally crabby!!) I may have to go back to the tiny bit higher sodium levels in Phase 1 or 2 for him. I mean, I want him to stay with this! He has definitely done a good job so far! We are getting plenty and I mean plenty to eat, plus the desserts help too. After dinner is over we are entirely full and our bodies are totally happy and have everything they need. And so we are not even thinking about food anymore. That is how you lose weight and maintain weight loss. NOT by starving yourself. When you "portion control" all you are thinking about is food food food. Talking about his high-nutrient foodplan and losing weight Dr. Fuhrman says, "The more you eat, the more you lose!" And I completely understand this now!


Thank you readers for all of your wonderful comments! It makes it all very worthwhile and rewarding!! I want you to know that I have another project coming up after this 28-day program ends! It will be with Chef AJ's new cooking DVD called Healthy Made Delicious. They are all "Fuhrman friendly" recipes--more on this to come!! Here was the menu for yesterday:

Breakfast:
Chocolate Smoothie
Ok, we did not love this smoothie and gave it a "C". I am not a huge chocolate person anyway. Both Haze and I prefer fruity smoothies--in fact we love fruity smoothies!! I think maybe I did not make it quite right--again I only had the melted bar chocolate (not the powder) and so it made it kind of runny--not ice creamy. And I am definitely just stuck on the Eat Your Greens Smoothie because it is so damn good!! I absolutely LOVE that one. I think I just don't looooove chocolate that much to need a healthy version. I've never been one of those chocoholic type people. In the past I worked with a girl who had a "chocolate drawer" in her desk--and anyone who was stressed out that day could come by and get a fix (including herself). And she would re-stock it weekly with HUGE bags of chocolate candy from Sam's Club. Bleeeaaaaah!! It was like a feeding frenzy on "Stock The Chocolate Drawer Day." I wonder if she would like this Chocolate Smoothie?



Lunch:
Salad with leftover dressing
Roasted Vegetable Pizza
Hooray for PIZZA!!! I absolutely loved this Roasted Vegetable Pizza!! It was soooooooooooo good. I baked the pita (crust) to get it a little crispier--and it was just really yummy. I mean, what could be better than pizza!? I used a high-quality/ low-sodium pasta sauce, and the roasted veggies were flavorful and perfect on top. It totally hit the spot! I gave it an "A"/ Haze said B+ (he thought it needed a little sausage and pepperoni!)



Dinner:
Salad with Dijon Pistaccio Dressing
Southwestern Chicken
Vegetable Bean Medley
Cauliflower Spinach Mashed "Potatoes"
Actually, the salad dressing for this menu was supposed to be the Caesar Dip again, but I had to change it because I missed one a few days ago called Dijon Pistaccio. Dr. F made this dressing on his DVD (Secrets to Healthy Cooking) and I know he really loves it! So please try it for yourself! But we gave it a B-. It called for flax and I think that really altered the consistancy of the dressing and made it not so creamy. I will have to make it again without the flax because the flavor is tasty good. The Southwest Chicken and Veggie Bean Medley will make for a hearty week-night meal and we gave them a "B." They were healthy and filling. The Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes" were really pretty good--we gave them an "A-" I would not have liked the Veggie Medley half as much without the Cauliflower "Potatoes" to go with it. Again--don't skimp on the side dishes!!






Dessert:
Mixed Berry Freeze
Aaaaaaah dessert! You suddenly forget that your meal did not have a ton of salt in it, and you just relax inside a bowl of fruity/ lucsious ice cream! And you are full and happy and don't even think about food again until the next day...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much and so excited to hear about your new project. I just found your site from Dr. F's and I absolutely love it and appreciate all the hard work you have put in to it. I just wonder what you do when you have a social function, do you skip Dr. F's menu for that day?

Haze said...

We had guests for New Years, so we chose items from the book and stuck with the EFH normal recipes...they enjoyed the meal and were impressed with the overall tastiness and the beautiful colors and they loved dessert...it can be done, I have had social events that I had to attend for a board I serve on so I brought the vegi snacks and vegi dips, I skipped the meal and then ate when I got home...we are dedicated to giving this our full effort.

Aannsha said...

I love your blog - congratulations on what you're doing!

I just tried the Chocolate smoothie, and I'd probably give it a B. Next time I'm going to try adding raspberries instead of blueberries (which I'm not that fond of).