Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!


Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day 13/ Phase 2/ Week 2

Does anyone know what Chili Sauce is? One of the recipes called for Chili Sauce--and the only ones I found had tons of sugar and salt in them. Anyway, we improvised! It's kind of fun to scroll through here and look at all of the tasty food I have eaten over the last 2 weeks--especially all of the desserts! This has been an amazing experience so far! I'm starting to see how much fun ETL/ Dr. Fuhrman desserts can be!! (Remember Eat to Live is another book by Dr. Fuhrman--and ETL is how his food plan is sometimes referred to). I've always said "no" to dessert when I am eating ETL. I have always thought I will lose weight first, then someday I will allow myself these desserts. But they are totally part of the plan--part of the path to losing weight. I got a little creative with the dessert today! See below! Menu for yesterday was:


Breakfast:
Pomegranate Muesli
This dish looked kind of weird, but it was actually VERY tasty and sweet! It is served cold--but I think warm would be good too. I didn't have any canteloupe so I used peaches. Very good!! A-




Lunch:
Veggies with Caesar Salad Dip
Leftover Hearty Ginger Soup
Ok, we all know how I felt about the Hearty Ginger Soup--so I obviously didn't have that for lunch! I had some leftover Portobellos and Tahini Spread so I made the sandwich from the day before. I also made the Caesar Dip which is very tasty!! We gave it a B+




Dinner:
Red Pepper Salsa
Creole Chicken with Spinach and Brown Rice
Roasted Mixed Vegetables and Brown Rice
The Red Pepper Salsa was flavorful and very easy to make. We gave it an A-. The Creole Chicken was the recipe that was supposed to have "Chili Sauce" so Haze used some hot sauce instead. He thought the recipe was just "ok" (maybe it would have been better with the Chili Sauce?) He gave it a "B". The Roasted Veggies were kind of dry--there was another recipe back in Phase 1 called Steak and Roasted Veggies--I liked that one much better (minus the steak of course). I gave this one a "B-". Pics below are Creole Chicken and Red Pepper Salsa on top, and Roasted Veggies below.






Dessert:
Banana Walnut Ice Cream
We obviously have made this one before as you can see from the pics! It is soooooooo good--you just can't even believe how something that is this good can be so good for you. I got a little creative last night and made Banana Walnut Strawberry Date Ice Cream, (I added one small date). It is sooooo quick, so easy and soooooooooooo devine!! A+ + +




2 comments:

Mariagm said...

Dear Jana, just found your blog and was amazed. Also just watched Julie/Julia and thought what a great idea that was and low & behold I found YOU. What a blessing. My son has dr's book and I want to get started for the two of us to loose weight. Can you post ur original shopping list???
That would help a lot.

Jana Diedrich said...

Hi Mariagm,
Well, here is my shopping list! It's kind of a mess and out of order, but I think this is about the first week worth of food. Keep in mind I already had a few of the items that were needed (can't think of what though!). And you will have to judge amounts. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!! Would love to help!
Jana

1.Bottle salad dressing (serving size 2T/ Sodium less than 200/ Calories less than 50) (I got Annies Raspberry Vinaigrette
2.Spinach
3.Dates
4.Tilapia fish (4 oz each serving)
5.Onions
6.Dry dill
7.Tomatoes (2)
8.Canned tomatoes (I like San Marzano variety)
9.Sweet potatoes (about ½ per serving)
10.Dry rosemary
11.Zucchini, 4
12.Baby bok choy (about 2 baby per person)
13.Shitake mushrooms (about ½ cup per person)
14.Pears (1 per person)
15.Whole Wheat Pita bread
16.Romaine
17.Avocado
18.Cucumber
19.Celery
20.Frozen fruit (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries)
21.Whole grain tortilla wraps
22.Turkey 3 oz per person
23.Lettuce for salad
24.Low sodium pasta sauce
25.Soy mozzarella cheese
26.Fresh fruit
27.Red pepper
28.Cherry tomatoes
29.Veganaise
30.Butternut squash (frozen)
31.Basil fresh
32.Nutmeg
33.Oranges
34.Sesame seeds
35.Cashews
36.Orange juice
37.Black beans, canned
38.Frozen mix veggie
39.Frozen broccoli
40.Low sodium black bean soup
41.Cilantro fresh
42.Green onions
43.Pumpkin seeds
44.Jar roasted red peppers
45.Long hot pepper
46.Ground turkey 4 oz per person
47.Parsley fresh
48.Sunflower seeds (all nuts shold be RAW and unsalted)
49.Red or pink can beans
50.Apples
51.Carrots
52.Cabbage
53.Roasted garlic rice vinegar (in Asian section)
54.Watercress
55.Low sodium veggie broth
56.Barley (whole)
57.Dry apricots
58.Fig preserves (no sugar)
59.Boneless chicken breast (about ½ per person)
60.Limes
61.Spaghetti squash
62.Pinto beans
63.Dry parsley
64.Kale
65.Pine nuts
66.Lemon
67.Garlic
68.Vanilla
69.Soy milk
70.Vanilla soy milk
71.Eggs
72.Green chili pepper
73.Whole wheat pasta fettuccini
74.Arugula
75.X firm tofu
76.Green pepper
77.Low sodium v-8
78.Artichokes
79.Silken tofu
80.Vegan Worcestershire
81.Fennel
82.Whole shitakes mushrooms
83.Terderloin about 3 oz per person
84.Macadamia nuts
85.Walnuts
86.Rolled Oats (NOT instant)
87.Frozen blueberries
88.Cinnmmon
89.Bananas