Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!


Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day 12/ Phase 2/ Week 2

Hello everyone... bon appetit! I received a comment from a reader who was curious about all of the high marks I was giving everything. She thought it was encouraging, but also wondered how I compared this food to the SAD (Standard American Diet) food I have eaten in the past. The comment sort of made me chuckle, first of all, because if you read below you will find a meal that I did NOT like!! And I was actually thinking yesterday (before dinner) that yes, I am really enjoying all of these meals--and giving them high marks. So I thought I would explain my thinking on the grading:

A+ Totally enjoyable meal--can't wait to make and eat again!
A or A- Will happily make again and it will be a staple in our house. Guest worthy.
B+ or B I know it's good for me and it tastes really good too--will be a good week-night meal
B- Will make again but I won't be that excited about it!
C+ or less Will probably not make again, or I will try to modify more to my liking

As far as my SAD meals, there were (and are) lots of things that I like but when "grading" food you have to take into consideration how you feel after eating them as well. Not just how good they taste sliding down your gullet! And after eating my favorite SAD meals I feel like I just ate a salt-lick, depressed, disappointed, greasy. And the next morning when I look in the mirror I see poofy eyes and no glow. Part of the reason I like to eat ETL is vanity!! I want to look rosey and healthy--I want to glow!! These ETL meals that I give an "A" to feel good before, during (sliding down my gullet), and after!! So here is what was on the menu yesterday:

Breakfast:
Blueberry Orange Smoothie
This smoothie was on the menu in Phase 1, and it was not our favorite. So again I made my most favorite breakfast...Dr Fuhrman's Eat Your Greens Smoothie and Oatmeal for Haze

Lunch:
Tossed Green Salad
Balsamic Vinaigrette
Portobello Red Pepper Sandwich
Tahini Spread
WOWEE BOB was this a good lunch!! A+ all the way around. The salad is my favorite with Dr. F's Balsamic Vinaigrette. And the Portobello Sandwich was pretty easy to make and soooooooooooo delicious. It was perfect with the creamy Tahini Spread. And the combo with the salad was just heavenly. I kept piling some of my salad onto the sandwich and sopping up the vinaigrette with the pita. This is a must try!! Restaurant worthy and guest worthy!!






Dinner:
Green Velvet Vegetable Salad
Hearty Ginger Lentil Soup
Ok, here we go--let's start with the salad. We gave it a B. It was pretty decent. Neither of us like dill but we thought we would give it a shot. I think next time we will leave out the dill and add the tarragon instead and it will be much better! And...I don't want to discourage anyone from trying the Ginger Soup--it was just not my taste at all. It was waaaay too sweet for me. I took a few bites and then could not even eat it. Thank goodness for the leftover Vegetable Milanese in the fridge! I heated that up and suddenly it rose to an A+ in my book!! Haze, however, sort of liked the Ginger soup and ate it all up! He gave it a B!! He requested that it all be pureed (which I did) and then froze it in small containers for him to take for lunches.





Dessert:
Banana Pumpkin Pudding
This was sort of weird, and sort of good! I totally loved the spices, the consistancy and the coolness of it--but it was also very pumpkiny. I think if you love pumpkin--you will love this dessert! We gave it a “B”.



P.S. I also received a comment from a reader that said there is a No-salt version of Spike! Hooray!! I will definitely be purchasing some. And I did not add a whole bunch to the Cuban Black Beans (I know this because Haze made his usual comment of "needs salt”)--and I know I would love them without any of the salty version Spike. They were that good!!

2 comments:

Abbie said...

I love that you posted about wanting to 'Glow'. This is what I want as well! I have always struggled with acne and it's so hard to not only feel bad on the inside but to also look horrible on the outside. I have made great strides in my skin treatment but because of my skin troubles, I too am dieing to GLOW! I want to ooze health! I have a friend who is exercising heavily and extreme dieting. She looks tired, she looks sick...she used to have beautiful, rosy skin but now she has lost her glow!

sil144 said...

Hi Jana, I couldn't find the chocolate dip recipe in my Eat for Health book... did you get it from the website? TKs!