Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!


Monday, December 28, 2009

Day 11/ Phase 2/ Week 2


Hello everyone,
Another day, another recipe or two! This is definitely getting easier as I go. It's always a fun surprise at dinner time because I have no idea what I am eating or what it will taste like (I haven't been tasting as I cook). So here is what we had yesterday...


Breakfast:
No recipe--so we had Eat Your Greens Fruitshake (as always) and oatmeal.

Lunch:
Black Bean Hummus Dip
Raw Veggies
Gazpacho Summer Soup (that I turned into Gazpacho WINTER Soup)
I had to make some changes on this lunch. First of all, we have had this Black Bean Hummus before and it is very good. I added lime juice and cilantro for more flavor--it's quick and easy. But...we had some extra Cuban Black Beans leftover from the night before so I decided to just put them in the blender and make Cuban Black Bean Dip!! VERY yummy!! Also on the menu was Gazpacho Summer Soup. It's like 16 degrees outside right now!! We did not feel like ice cold soup--and so I made a cooked version of this soup. I used zucchini instead of the cucumber and just sort of sauteed everything and used canned tomatoes. It was fast and easy--and very good!! I served with guacamole. Very yummy lunch!! We gave it an A.







Dinner:
Seasoned Edamame
Turkey-Vegetable Meatloaf
Vegetables Milanese with Navy Beans
Dinner was good! The Vegetable Milanese did not look very appetizing--but it actually tasted pretty good. There was lots of flavor with the added dressing (fig vinegar, olive oil). This is a good dish for a cold week night--nothing fancy, but warm and filling. We gave it a B+. Haze really liked the meatloaf--he gave it an A-. The seasoned edamame were great because I accidently put Spike on them--which I did not realize has salt in it. I thought Spike was like Mrs. Dash! Oops!







Dessert:Chocolate Dip
Ok--you would not even believe the weird ingredients that go into this dip. Just to name a few: spinach, beets, bluberries (those are just the weird ones) but then you whip it all up and voilĂ ! You have this creamy concoction that tastes exactly like chocolate pudding! I could not find cocoa powder at Whole Foods, so I used Ghirardelli 100% Cacao-unsweetened (baking bar). I melted it and poured it in as the last ingredient with the blender going. We did not have any strawberries, so I made the Banana Walnut Ice Cream--and put the Chocolate Dip on top. It was really really good! We gave it an A!





No comments: