Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!


Thursday, December 17, 2009

Day 2/ Phase 1/ Week 1

You know, I really wanted to call this the Jana/ Joel project--just like Julie/ Julia but I also wanted to be respectful to Dr. Fuhrman!! Oh well--it's still a good title! We are having lots of fun so far.


Here is the menu for Day 2...

Breakfast:
When he does not post a recipe (like today he just had yogurt and fruit), we just decided to have a favorite Dr. F recipe on those days. So today I made my favorite Eat Your Greens Smoothie and Haze had the same oatmeal from yesterday.
Here is my smoothie recipe (it's a little different than his). This is for one serving:
3 oz spinach
1 T flax
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water (room temp)
1-1/2 cups frozen berries (I love blueberries and cherries)
5 1-inch slices frozen banana
Blend in a Vita Mix (you have to have a Vita Mix for this--they are amazing and I use mine several times a day!!) in that order (spinach on the bottom) and blendsoooooooooo good!! it's like friggin ice cream for breakfast!!




Lunch:
Turkey Sandwich on whole-grain bread
with veggies, mustard, and vegan mayo
1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
Fruit
Need I say that Haze loved lunch today! He is a turkey sandwich kind of guy. He normally has whitey, doughy wonder bread type bread and about a cup of mayo, but today it was on Ezekiel Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Bread, and he used a little vegan mayo. Overall he gave the lunch an A. I think it's good to have several different things to nibble on--it makes meals more fun! I don't eat turkey so I had a big salad and the rest of the sweet potato stew...YUM!


Dinner:
Raw Veggies
Tasty Hummus
Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
Very yummy and very filling meal. The hummus is really good! I used extra lemon juice (I just like it that way), and sprinkled some paprika on top to make it pretty. The pasta was soooooooo good. I actually used canned (no salt) San Marzano tomatoes (I had them leftover from the Sweet Potato Stew). The canned San Marzanos are a tad pricey--but really worth it.
Dessert:
Wild Apple Crunch
The Wild Apple Crunch dessert was heavenly. I cut the recipe to about 3 servings, I ate one servings and Haze at all the rest--he loved it!!
On to Day 3!!


No comments: