Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!


Friday, December 18, 2009

Day 3 / Phase 1/ Week 1

Here is what I have learned in just 3 days. Dr. Fuhrman is totally and completely right when he says that the most successful people are the ones who jump in with both feet. For YEARS I have had one (or two) toes out of the water. And I can now see just what he is talking about. If you are on the edge, not fully committed--I recommend you try this even for a few days!! I am sold!! Here is what else I have learned--these recipes are totally satisfying when made into an entire meal--just like they are laid out in the book. A salad, an entrée, a few tasty side dishes, AND a dessert. This is a whole new eating experience for us!! Here is what we had yesterday...

Breakfast:
(No recipe) So we made fruitshake and oatmeal


Lunch:
Orange Sesame Tossed Salad
Fast Black Bean Soup

If there was ever a time that I wanted to swear like Julie Powell it would have been yesterday at lunch. Due to a time crunch, I had to make lunch and pack it up and bring it to my husband's office. I also had to make a kind of gross and SAD hors d'oeuvre for a Christmas party to which I had already committed. AND the Fast Black Bean Soup is not fast--it's sorta fast, kinda fast. But not really fast. Anytime that I have to make fresh carrot juice in a recipe, it's not fast. Anyway it's a good thing the soup turned out tasty because I would have been really bummed!! Because we both kind of did not like the salad. It was too sweet (for us) and the dressing was kind of watery. But we ate it all up so it couldn't have been that bad. We gave the salad a "C" and the Sorta Fast Black Bean Soup an "A-"





Dinner:
Turkey Spinach Burger
Simple Bean Burgers
Sunshine Slaw
Hot Pepper Salsa
Baked Garlic Pita Chips
Dessert: Very Berry Ice Cream
Haze loved the spinach burger--I used fresh spinach and it turned out fine. The bean burgers were fabulous! I love veggie burgers of all kinds and this one was totally different and very tasty. The sunshine slaw was really pretty and yummy. It would be good too with half cabbage. I added a little apple cider vinegar (thought it needed some) (that's how mama makes it) and it was perfect! The salsa was better than any I think I've ever had. I again used the canned San Marzano tomatoes, plus some fresh. Totally satisfying and filling meal!! The Very Berry Ice Cream was a beautiful final touch. A+ for the whole meal!! Pictured below is the Bean Burger. Yum!!

No comments: