Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!


Monday, December 21, 2009

Day 6/ Phase 1/ Week 1

I can't believe we started this over Christmas!! I went to Whole Foods yesterday and they have free samples at every corner of EVERYTHING!! (I did not taste anything--except for a carrot) But really, to be perfectly honest, this has not been very hard. We have had delicious meals and scrumptious desserts. We are always full and totally satisfied. There is always plenty o food--really huge portions. The hardest part is getting in the rhythm of shopping and cooking. But I can already tell that Week 2 shopping trip will be much smaller (and cheaper) because I already have a lot of the items. So.... this is what was on the menu yesterday:
Breakfast:
Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Tomatoes
The breakfast egg dish was sooooooo yummy! Haze actually used the same ingredients and just made it into an omelet. He also used some vegan cheese. It was really yummy! A+ breakfast!!
Lunch:
Speedy Vegetable Wrap
Tropical Fruit Salad
Lunch was FABulous. Dr. Fuhrman said to take a whole grain wrap, broccoli slaw, vegan cheese, and a dressing of your choice. I was not sure what type of dressing to use, so I chose pasta sauce and made these into pizzas! They were soooooooooooo good!. I sprinkled garlic powder on whole-grain pita with and baked them until crispy. I used pasta sauce with tons of added fresh chopped tomatoes. Then I steamed the broccoli slaw. And used vegan mozzerella on top. I assembled them and then put them under the broiler to melt the cheese and they were soooooooooooooo good!! We were in a huge hurry and this was very fast. We had fruit for dessert. A+ lunch!
Dinner:
Raw VeggiesGarbanzo Guacamole
Tuscan Pasta and Arugula
Dinner was pretty good. I loved the Garbanzo Guacamole--Haze said he does not like tomatoes in his guacamole. Too bad for him! The Tuscan Pasta with Arugula was just a little bland, but it was warm and very filling. HUGE portions to eat! I think next time I will add more garlic, more crushed red pepper, and maybe some sun-dried tomatoes. We gave the whole meal a "B".
Dessert:
Frozen Banana Fluff
Dessert was heavenly!! It is made with only frozen bananas, vanilla, and vanilla soymild. But it is creamy and sweet and tastes like banana ice cream!! YUM!! A++

No comments: