Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? Or read the book? Julie Powell became an internet celebrity with her 2004 blog recording her yearlong adventure cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am taking on a similar challenge, only I am blogging my way through a very healthy cookbook! And I will learn to master the art of healthy cooking! The book is called Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I will cook every recipe start to finish in four weeks just as they are laid out in the book. I will write about the recipes, show you pictures, and tell you how my SAD (Standard American Diet) eating, carnivorous husband likes them too. (See archives below.) He is behind me 100%!!


Thursday, December 24, 2009

Day 9/ Phase 2/ Week 2

So, I sort of had a small meltdown yesterday. No tears (ok maybe like 2). I wondered if this was the right time to do this project. I mean, I started this like one week before Christmas. And every time I go to the grocery store I am bombarded with smells, free sample pushers, and treats everywhere you look. But is there ever a good time to start anything? There is always something. Does anyone remember Roseanne Roseannadanna from Saturday Night Live? "It's aaalways something, Jane. If it's not one thing, it's another." There is always going to be a holiday, a birthday, a party--some special event. And I guess if we can make it through Christmas, we can make it through anything. Phase 2 offers less desserts (sometimes he wants you to just have plain fruit for dessert), but we are still making dessert after dinner (the same ones that were in Phase 1). I have my Christmas menu all prepared--all recipes from the website. So I will let you know how it goes! (You have to be a "member" of Dr. Fuhrman's website to view the recipe catalog--which is quite extensive! There are also Discussion Forums, Ask the Doctor--and many other benefits. It is well worth the small monthly fee!) Here is what we had yesterday...


Breakfast:
No recipe--fruitshake and oatmeal


Lunch:
Raw Veggies
Orange Cashew Dip
Leftover bean soup
Fruit and Berry Compote
Ok, I just do not like the dressings made with orange and cashew. For me (and for Haze) they are just too sweet. It called for 2 oranges and I only used 1--so it was thicker, but still we did not like it. We gave it a C-. This is not to say that you should not try it, I think it is just not our taste. The leftover Quick and Creamy Vegetable Bean Soup was even better the 2nd day! And even better--I didn't have to make it!!




Dinner:
Salad with Sesame Fig Dressing
Salsa Salmon over Wilted Spinach

A+ dinner all the way around. We LOVED this salad dressing. It was creamy and very flavorful. A perfect match for the Salsa Salmon. I was very worried that I would not like the salmon--we usually prepare it "blackened" which means tons of salt. I thought it would be bland. But surprisingly after over a week with no salt, the salmon tasted very salty just on it's own! The salsa topping was sooooooo good. It was just a fantastic dinner.







Dessert:
Supposed to be grapes but we had Banana/Walnut Ice Cream--a recipe from the website. It was a very simple mixture of frozen bananas, a small handful of walnuts, and vanilla soymilk whipped up in the Vita Mix. OMG it was good. I swear--you have not tasted anything until you have tasted one of these frozen "ice creams" made from fruit!! They are truly heavenly!!

Happy Holidays!! Thank you for reading my blog!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you have the time to do all this cooking. Are you still making your sculptures? The salmon sounds good as well as the berry desserts! I'm sorry Haze hasn't had any positive results yet. Keep on keeping on!!!!
"Bon Appetite" as Julia would say.
Love,
Mom